Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato
I'm sitting here, laptop in hand, writing my first blog post since our move and can I just say, THIS FEELS SO GOOD!!!
It's hard to believe that summer's almost over, the kids are back in school and the holidays are right around the corner! Either way, it's been a VERY long summer for us and I'm determined NOT to allow this holiday season to throw me off track! In fact, mission get back on track is going down in the Medina house...any other moms need to get on board with this mission?
Well, if you are like me and you feel like it's time to get refocused on your health and fitness, then I've got the right recipe for you!
Since we moved back in, my crockpot has been like my BFF! I've cooked almost every dinner in that beautiful piece of genius for the last two weeks or so! One, because unpacking has taken up a lot of my time. Two, because cleaning up a big mess in the kitchen after a long day isn't my favorite pass time. Three, because I'm working on an amazing Crockpot meal plan for my upcoming Challenge group!
This was one of the first new recipes we tried in our new place and I have to give a shout out to The Real Food Dietitians because this is NOT one of my own. I found this little gem on their site and it quickly became a new Medina favorite.
I mean look at it?! They even give you a Paleo Ranch recipe (posted below) to use on top! Note to self...use a 21 Day Fix container for condiments next time! I may or may not have gone a little over board with the ranch:) Speaking of the ranch, don't skip it! Its the perfect compliment to the flavor packed chicken.
I have shared the recipe in picture format below for easy access but will share it in written format as well so I can share a few tips and things I did when I made the recipe myself.
I doubled this recipe so I could have leftovers for the next day and we were all happy that I did. My husband even used some of the leftover chicken in tortilla wraps and still can't stop talking about it!:)
I like to double the recipe with all of my dinners. It saves me time in the kitchen and helps to keep us on track. Not to mention, saving a little extra cash since we aren't tempted to grab lunch out.
Sweet Potato Ingredients:
* ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
* ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
* ⅓ cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot)
* 2 Tbsp. ghee (may sub coconut oil)
* 1 Tbsp. Coconut aminos
* ½ tsp. garlic powder
* ¼ tsp. cayenne (optional - adds more heat) I used a little less than 1/4 measuring spoon I have because we are not huge fans of spicy and it was perfect.
* 4 small baked sweet potatoes (about 7 oz. each uncooked) I still doubled these, they reheat well.
* Homemade ranch (optional)
1. Place chicken in a slow cooker set on low.
2. In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine the hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder and optional cayenne. Stir together and heat until ghee is melted.
3. Pour sauce into slow cooker.
4. Cook for 4-6 hour on low or until chicken is tender.
5. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with sauce.
6. Turn slow cooker to warm (or remain on low) until ready to serve.
7. Serve chicken in baked sweet potatoes and drizzle with ranch if desired.
Homemade Ranch Ingredients:
* ½ cup mayo (homemade or Prima Kitchen Mayo) I used an Organic, Gluten Free Mayo I found at our local Commissary.
* ⅓ cup full-fat canned coconut milk (may need to blend to mix together)
* 1 tsp. dried parsley
* ½ tsp. dried dill
* ½ tsp. dried garlic powder
* ½ tsp. dried onion powder
* ½ tsp. dried chives
* ¼ tsp. sea salt (add additional sea salt if desired)
* ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
2. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
3. Store in a covered container or mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.